Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 9 – Sunday, May 23, 2010

Short, short today, internet is spotty! (and I'm mourning the end of Lost, and the fact that I'm not watching it)

went to Bethel Church today in Highgate, and it was youth Sunday. I recorded their youth skit and children's choir so I can share it with the kids at church. Spent the afternoon at the beach FINALLY! Had some Jamaican cuisine for dinner - yum. Rice and peas, baked chicken and pork. The team is doing well, and are preparing for a 3 project rotation this week. I plan to stay on site and visit 2 of the projects here tomorrow, and go to Ocho Rios on Tuesday "to see a guy about an air conditioner" - really, but it isn't for me.

RED LETTER EVENT: I drove today. In Jamaica. On the "wrong" side of the road, from the wrong side of the car. Don't fret it was both photographed and successful. I was super excited that it went so well. Thankfully they have one non-standard vehicle for me to try it on.

Two prayer requests:
I got bit by a spider (we think) and it hurts. Not a terribly big deal, just hurts a lot. No off-site medical attention or anything. I don't think I'm being a baby about it, it looks terrible. It's on my left pinky finger and is mostly just an annoyance.

Okay - so also pray for Kingston. We are watching the news tonight, as the violence has erupted today. The gangs have burned down the police station there, and everyone is against the prime minister. The drug lord they are protecting helps the poor here, so many don't care what "bad things" he does. Craziness. We are about 90 minutes away, so we are safe but they declared a state of emergency there today.

 Cold here today for Jamaica, rained again and the sky was beautiful for the sunset. Beach was a chilly but fun time. Can't wait to swim again soon.

Hugs to all - I got a few at church this morning, but I'm still a bit hug deficient. Not water deficient, that program is back on track.
- Allie "la la" Beeks

No comments:

Post a Comment