Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 5 – Wednesday, May 19, 2010

This morning I went to an all-girls high school called Mary Mount. Got to meet a guidance counselor, go to an assembly, hear some student council "head girl" speeches, and attend a class. VERY informative in terms of Jamaican culture, and their views on education. I heard the counselor call those that study a trade "slow" about 6 times. They have yard statues of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, sing Michael Jackson's, "Man in the Mirror" during devotional time, have to cram 47 girls into a classroom, they all want to be in the medical field when they grow up, and have to keep their uniforms white. Oh and their punishment? They call it "Black Skirt" and if they are bad they have to wear a one sized fits all black skirt over their uniform for the length of time to fit the crime! Apparently they are pretty good, cause they rarely have to enforce that punishment. About 900 girls go to this school which is year 7-11 which is considered high school ages.

After that I came back to the guest house and had some fish for lunch... when asked what kind it was Pinto the cook said "freshwater fish" and that was supposed to be a sufficient answer. Also festival (sweet cornbread like twists that are deep fried), and this morning calalloo.... so we're workin in the Jamaican cuisine. Tonight FRIED CHICKEN which is Pinto's specialty. Yummy! Sounds like a great diet, huh? No matter, I think we sweat it off faster. In the afternoon I was invited to spend it with Melissa Black. It was a refreshing time of sharing our stories, and fears, and she confirmed that my emotional state is completely normal. She also talked about her friendships and family relationships and how those are going now and had to adjust. We also talked about our passions and how they very much line up, which could be great for a partnership when I move here. We picked leaves in the yard and painted with them (her kids are talking about plants currently), and had a snack. Soon it was time to come back for dinner. Oh geez their yard is full of fruit! Sugar cane, oranges, guava, pineapple, naseberry (they look like potatoes), limes, mangoes, mint, and probably more that I've forgotten. Delicious.

Tonight our staff walked onto some of the property to pray for the RAISE project and the tiny plants growing there. Nice night... and I have the bug bites to prove it! Just a few though... I spray myself constantly. Also no sunburn, I wear sunscreen but mostly I just don't stay in direct sun very long at a time. I've worn flip flops since arriving, but tonight I wore tennis shoes - and my feet feel funny. Maybe my days of wearing shoes until bedtime are over - my feet want to be free!

And for those of you seeking a Jamaican nickname for me, I think I've been granted one. "La La" is what I was called by some of the house staff when they couldn't remember my name. Despite sounding a bit like a teletubby I kind of like it. Especially with the Jamaican accent.

Miss you all!
APB

No comments:

Post a Comment