Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 7 – Friday, May 21, 2010

Sorry that these are so lengthy, I try to abbreviate - but even that takes a long time to tell! I'm really tired tonight so we'll see how long this one goes. However many words it takes... it won't do today justice! After breakfast Nick Vrettos and I went to visit some people in need that "Bubba" brought to our attention - and he came with us. So Bubba (really named Ben or Bobo, but we call him bubba for whatever reason... I've stopped asking those questions) is a transformed rasta man, who is now a bush man who lives off of the land. He makes it his work to visit the disenfranchised that "even the church won't help." We visited 3 homes today, and all very dire situations. 2 have received small houses from CSI but are still needing help. The first was Mr. Waney, a blind rasta who played some drums for us. He was pretty cheery given his situation and called me "The Queen." Next up was Mr. Dulci who also recieved a house, and apparently in his younger days used to be quite the dancer! He has 2 teeth now and walks with a cane, so I think his dance hall days might be behind him. Also met his son Bengo who was working on his house, and a neighbor Mitzi who was helping with his yard. This was a pretty rough neighborhood, so it was nice to see people helping eachother. Mitzi's daughter was 3, Ronique, and she said her ABCs, spelled her name, counted to 30 sort of, and sang her 2 favorite songs. Very sweet an polite little lady, with a mom that takes her education seriously. REFRESHING! last stop was Myrtles, and she lives in a site with her 6 kids and 4 grandkids. Small space, need help with housing, none of the kids in school, and just devastatingly sad to see where and how they really live. I would guess that school truly is too far for them, and it is for those kids that my heart aches. 

After that I was supposed to help John Gardner with the infirmary lunch sale - which I thought included delivering boxes and serving the meal. WRONG. At 11, they were still boiling potatoes for potato salad! Welcome to Jamaica, the land of poor planning and inefficiency! In all fairness, someone planned - it just wasn't the most logical way. Also, I must give "big ups" as they say here, to the staff that cooked all of the food with 3 knives, a machete, 2 large spoons, and 2 makeshift bowls with holes in the sides. I've never had to hold my hand over a bowl before as I stirred something, just so it wouldn't fall out. This is the very abbreviated version of this story.... but I spent 5 hours doing a 2 hour job. I'm told this was my baptism by fire. They did sell a lot of lunches - and as you can tell from the stock in the kitchen, they need the resources. Also now CSI has a glimpse into what they've been working with, and we hope to find a church to sponsor a kitchen upgrade for them! For those who came with CSI lat summer - I saw LaShawn, the lady with down syndrome who ran across the yard, again. Also the lady who takes off all her clothes- this day it was an unbuttoned dressing gown. And a big hug! I do enjoy my time at the infirmary, just not so much in their kitchen. If I'm not a resident, they frown upon naked cooking but it was SO HOT... ugh I think I really am dehydrated today. My head aches! The lunch sale was on the beach though - so that view helped immensely.

Back to the guest house for a shower and some lunch/supper at 530, then off to Port Maria to a hotel for a concert. I relished "getting ready" today - despite that meaning I wore mascara and a bracelet with linen pants and a plain shirt! No sparkles today! Well I didn't know what the concert was, other than it being an acappella group. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that it was a group from Point Loma Nazarene University. They were super fun - and did some old school Jars of Clay and DC Talk, along with my theme song, Call Me Al! A little Footloose rounded out their evening show. Sitting by the ocean with my eyes closed listening to the water rounded out my evening.

Good day, eye opening as always. Looking forward to a day spent reading by the pool at Green Castle tomorrow... thank goodness for a restful day ahead!

Peace out... one week down!
Allie Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment