Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 3 – Monday, May 17, 2010

Hey Mon...

I went to Kingston today - and all I've heard leading up to this trip is that people don't go unless they have to because the winding roads and traffic make you throw-up. Well that made me nervous because all of the traffic is insane... but I made it, and no throwing up! Good day though, went to the Department of Labor with Nick Vrettos who had some work permit stuff to take care of. I couldn't go to the Immigration building with him, but I shopped across the street instead for those few hours. It was insightful to shop on my own and price check and convert currency to determine exactly what is worth bringing and what I should just buy here. Rumor has it you can pretty much get what you want/need in terms of brands, you'll just pay a lot. Suave shampoo for example cost $5 a bottle in US money... and special K cereal? TEN DOLLARS US!!! (Steven what will I do?!) Sooo it was interesting. Things still throw me off when they say like $1,000 for something like a book, but that's J money and would really be like $12. Hurts my brain a little. We had lunch at a starbucks-esque coffee shop full of "whiteys" as I am called here. Mostly Americans from what I gather.
                              
Saw the Jamaican Red Cross sign today, but we couldn't find the building! We might try again later this week when we go back to Kingston for more paperwork. I brought presents for them from work!

Took a fab nap, ate baked spaghetti and brownies, had Bible study with the staff and talked to my mama. and she was delighted that the reception from here sounds better than when I call from my car in the states. Tomorrow is a "lets travel around and meet people" day which I'm excited about. I hope to visit the clinic and at least one school this week. I was offered a chance to drive today, and I thankfully got out of it. I think I'll try a bit though before I leave. ANNNND I've been nervous about the driving test process here for a license, and I think I may get out of that too! It has been suggested that I do the International Drivers License from AAA and just renew it every year for 30 bucks when I'm on leave. Sounds good to me!

I've not been asked to buy panties out of a paper sack yet, or even drugs. Oh, and I found a movie theater today in Kingston with first run movies... was not expecting that. Also apparently there is one in Ochi which is the same distance, but a smoother drive. Trying to learn about fun things to do on my free time that are safe to do alone if I need to - and I'm pretty pumped to explore (within reason of course). Anyone heard of the Maroon people? Apparently they give tours... someone is doing that with me when they come.

Gonna wrap it up - I'm sure to have more stories tomorrow!
Have a great day everyone!

Love, APB

No comments:

Post a Comment