Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 2 - Sunday, May 16, 2010

So I went to 2 churches today... sort of on purpose. I went to one that I was told was "organized" - it was very formal, in a stone building with stained glass and was Anglican. (It was St. Cyprians which ran the school the Vrettos kids went to - if that helps anyone). The second I went to was much like the one I visited last year. In the country, primitive setting but very good. The message was telling parents to invest in their children - mostly education, but discipline as well. A message that needs to be given more in the states!

Restful day mostly. After 2nd church (which was so we could visit a lady CSI has helped in the past) I got to see the church we visited and left money for last year. I took pictures of their progress. By US standards it still looks pretty rough - but they have 4 walls now and beginning the block work for the upper level and roof. MUCH changed in a year, and they have done all the work themselves.

After that has some lunch and went to a neighborhood cricket game. Pick-up game, but I learned a lot about the sport... the wickets, and bowlers and whatnot. I'm not gonna go pro anytime soon but if I saw it I'd have an idea of what is going on! Mostly cricket and soccer around here so I have to get used to that.

Tomorrow I'm in for an adventure to Kingston. It's an hour and a half I guess - but the road is the adventurous part. On a cliff, down a mountain, winding and terrible surface. Winner winner chicken dinner! Good thing I don't get sick.

Braylon (the one and a half year old) calls me by name - Allison even, not Allie. Though sometimes it sounds like Elephant. Audrey is my new best friend and was very concerned that if she sat in front of me in church I'd not be able to see over her head. She's little, but I said thank you. Met some J kids too today - Tacia and Shomar. We played a bit, and are neighbors of Aaron and Melissa (missionaries here).

Humorous highlights of the day:
-Watching a man weld in a mesh shirt
- seeing 12 goats in less than 10 minutes (walking around like stray dogs of course)


Tried to call out today, but the satelite phone isn't working. I need to get used to things like that! Thank you stable internet today... I like staying in touch!

Much love!

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment